- 1 Onion
- Unbleached flour
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Ground pepper
- Dried parsley
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup milk or water
- Cut off ends of onion and peel.
- Place onion on flat end and slice into eighths, then in half through the middle.
- Separate each onion layer and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the milk and egg together.
- Coat onions in the dry mixture and shake off excess.
- Dip onions in the egg mixture, then drain, reserving the egg mixture.
- Add wet petals back to the dry mixture and shake off excess.
- With half (or all!) the coated onions, repeat dipping in the egg and dry mixture for extra crunch.
- Fry the petals at 350°F until they float.
- Once the petals float on the surface of the oil, remove and place on a paper towel to drain.
You may have to do this in batches since the petals vary in size, which affects their cooking time.
Once all petals are out of the oil, make the crispies!
- Combine some of the remaining dry and egg mixtures together until you have a pancake-like consistency.
- Slowly drizzle the batter into the hot oil.
Don’t stand directly over the oil; be mindful that it may splatter from the moisture in the batter.
- Scoop the crispies from the surface of the oil as they rise and drain on paper towels.
- Combine petals and crispies to serve!
- Rehab – Amy Winehouse
- Love is a Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
- Valerie – Amy Winehouse
- Bored to Death – blink-182
- There Is – Box Car Racer
- That Old Black Hole – Dr. Dog
- Jackie Wants a Black Eye – Dr. Dog
- Brother’s Song – Brand New
- Leather Jacket – Arkells
- Drake’s Dad – Arkells